Friday, November 8, 2013

Miraval - Day 4


My final challenge here at Miraval: Quantum Leap. I climbed a 25-foot telephone poll and stood on a platform that was no larger than a 12-inch pizza. Oh, and it spun. So it was like standing on a Lazy Susan. Of course I was harnessed and belayed, but I still had nothing to hold on to. Originally I had thought the challenge was jumping off. But the challenge is actually getting up on that tiny platform. I wasn't sure how it was possible, but as I climbed the ladder, my decision was to not over-think it, and just do it. Because the more I'd thought about it, the more fear would set in. Take a look at the video to see how I did.

One of the other reasons I chose Miraval was for the equine therapy courses. Today I took a course called It's Not About The Horse instructed by Wyatt Webb. Google him to learn more about him. He's very interesting.

The task in the equine therapy course was to go up to a horse and squeeze it's leg to get it to raise its hoof so you can clean it with a pick. Sounds easy enough. But what some people may not realize is that horses pick up on your energies. So any shit going on in your head, the horse is going to notice, and he will not lift his hoof.

When Wyatt first explained the task, I felt confident. After all, I'd walked across a log 25 feet in the air, jumped off a 12-inch Lazy Susan from 25 feet in the air, and swung from 35 feet. I was feeling confident. But as I listened to others in the class uncover their struggles, I began to wonder? What's my issue? Can I really do this? What am I afraid of? Failure, rejection, and being exposed were a few things that entered my mind. Plus I was anxious and curious. What was Wyatt going to force me to uncover?

So when it was my turn, of course the damn horse didn't lift it's hoof. Because by then I had all these stories floating around my head. Then this other guy took his turn. I don't remember what his issue was, but Wyatt talked him through it, then he went over to the horse and succeeded in getting him to raise his hoof. The man then came back to me and handed me the pick. So here's what went through my mind in the next split second: Why is he handing the pick to me? Shouldn't he give it back to Wyatt so Wyatt can ask me what I'm thinking and what I'm fearing and blah blah blah? Are we doing this right? Blah blah blah.

Finally I thought, "Just shut up and do it." I grabbed the pick walked over to the horse, pinched his leg, and he raised his hoof.

So my key take a way was: Get out of my own head and just do it. Which, interestingly, was what I was feeling at the start of the class before all that stuff entered my mind. I've got to stop all the analytical stories that run through my mind every day, and just go for it.

Profound.

Phew. That's it for the challenges. Tomorrow, my last day at Miraval, is going to be a cake walk. Hugs and kisses from Tucson!

No comments:

Post a Comment